The DBI IT Center provides an IMAP and web based email server to all DBI community members including students, faculty, and staff at no cost. These email policies are designed to facilitate open communication to the greatest extent possible within University policies1,2,3 and without compromising system security
Account Creation & Deletion
- Faculty members may request email accounts for themselves, administrative or research staff, and UD undergraduate or graduate students actively involved in the group’s research activities. Requests for generic or group addresses will be considered on a case-by-case basis by the center director.
- Faculty or staff may request the creation of email discussion lists. The requester must designate one person to be the list’s owner/moderator.
- The owners of any web site hosted by the center may have up to two email accounts and one discussion list set up in association with their domain. Forwarding aliases may be set up in any domain.
- Accounts will renewed on a yearly basis. Addresses that are not in active use will be sent a notice before the renewal date. Non-response will result in the suspension and eventual deletion of the account.
- A listing of all accounts associated with a DBI faculty member will be compiled periodically and mailed to the faculty. Faculty members may should review this list and return the names of accounts that are still active to ensure that these accounts are not suspended.
- Email to a deleted account will be forwarded to another valid email address for up to one year when requested by the account holder.
- Access to email is limited to IMAP-enabled clients and to the DBI webmail interface. Instructions for configuring supported clients are available here. The Core CenterIT staff will assist in email-related problems as detailed on the desktop support page.
- Abuse of system resources will result in a message to the user asking them to limit their use. Further abuse may result in message or disk quotas or account termination.
- Virus and spam filters in place on the server limit the file types that can be sent as attachments and individual messages are limited to a total size of 128MB. Windows executables and similar files or large files can be transferred using a system designed for file transfers such as the UD Dropbox.
- Violation of the University email policies will result in the removal of the email account.